BEFORE YOUR TREATMENT:
Skincare – are you:
- Currently using active skincare? (This includes alpha-hydroxy acids (glycolic, lactic, citric etc), beta hydroxy acids (salicylic acid), hydroquinone (used to lighten hyperpigmentation), retinol, kojic acid, copper peptide, Vitamin A, E, C etc.
IT IS VERY IMPORTANT THAT YOU STOP USING THESE PRODUCTS AT LEAST 2 WEEKS PRIOR TO YOUR APPOINTMENT. They can cause your skin to release fluid during your procedure which may prevent the pigment from entering the skin effectively. Please do not use them prior to your treatment, or before a touch up appointment. You will be able to recommence using them 2 weeks after your appointment.
BEFORE YOUR TREATMENT:
- Organise your numbing cream. You may choose from chemist bought Emla numbing cream or ordering specialised, custom made BLT cream. See below section "Ordering and applying your numbing cream".
- DO NOT drink any alcohol the day before, or on day of your treatment. Alcohol thins the blood, which can make you bleed during the procedure and will make it very difficult to implant pigment into the skin.
- DO NOT drink coffee on the day of your procedure. None. Zilch. Nada. (sorry!)
- Please do not use any skincare with active ingredients on your brow area for at least 14 days prior to your appointment i.e. Retinol, Glycolic and Salicylic acid etc. (see above)
- Please do not take any vitamins or supplements 1 week prior to your treatment. This includes fish oil, multivitamins etc.
- Please avoid all blood thinning medications and supplements for at least 3 days prior to your treatment. This includes Vitamin E, Aspirin, Niacin, Ibuprofen and fish oil supplements.
- Exfoliate and remove fake tan on the area that will be treated at least 2 days prior to your treatment.
- Avoid sun exposure for one month before and after your treatment. You will not be able to have your brows tattooed if your skin is sunburnt on the day of your treatment.
- It's a great idea to wash your hair the night before or morning of your treatment as you will not be able to get your brows wet for 7 days.
ON THE DAY OF YOUR TREATMENT:
- If you have ordered specialised BLT numbing cream, set an alarm to go off 20 mins before your appointment time and APPLY YOUR NUMBING CREAM. Do not forget! If you can chosen to use Emla set an alarm 1 hour before your appointment and apply the cream according to packet instructions.
- For safety reasons, children and visitors are not allowed to attend your appointment with you.
- It’s also a great idea to wear dark/old clothing, if you can. Although pigment (ink) spills or spray rarely happen, there is a chance of pigment being flicked from the machine during the treatment.
After your treatment
- Immediately after your treatment, your brows will likely still feel quite numb from your anaesthetic. They may appear a little red, but not enough that anyone would really notice. Your brows will look fresh, considerably darker and warmer in colour on the day of your treatment. As your brows go through the healing process they will fade between 10-30% and cool off in colour.
- You cannot get your brows wet for 7 days following your treatment. This includes any kind of activity such as swimming, intense exercise, spas/saunas whereby your brows will become excessively moist. I will provide you with a special protective visor to wear in the shower while washing your hair. You must also avoid sun exposure, as this can impact the colour of the healed pigment.
- You will be given an aftercare kit with easy instructions to take care of your lovely new brows.
- The healing process is different for each individual. Many of my client's heal perfectly after a single session if they strictly follow pre and post care instructions. However, other clients may require a touch up after 4 weeks to fill in any small areas that have faded during the healing process, or of they want to make any modifications. 4-12 week touch up sessions are 1 hour ($75) and can be booked online (see "bookings).
PURCHASING AND APPLYING YOUR NUMBING CREAM (TOPICAL ANAESTHETIC):
PLEASE NOTE: You MUST arrive at your appointment with your numbing cream ON.
Being comfortable and relaxed during your treatment is the key to perfect brows. Topical anaesthetic (also known as numbing cream) is used to numb the brow area, so that the treatment is pain free, with no risk of flinching. To ensure your comfort and the best possible result, you will need to purchase and apply specialised numbing cream prior to your appointment.
The law prevents tattoo artists in Australia to order, purchase, supply or administer topical numbing/anaesthetic on behalf of clients, meaning it must be done voluntarily by the client (like any pharmacy product). This is the same for every cosmetic tattoo procedure across the country.
Luckily, I have made the ordering process extremely simple and easy for you! :-)
Option 1: Ordering specialised BLT numbing cream (recommended)
Complimentary Compounding Pharmacy is a highly reputable pharmacy in Ballina NSW which specialise in topical numbing creams for cosmetic tattoo treatments. I have tried and tested many different creams and suppliers and have found Complimentary Compounding far superior to other pharmacies and products. Their pharmacists will make your personalised topical numbing to order and send it directly to you. You will then apply your numbing cream 15-20 mins prior to your appointments.
HOW TO ORDER:
1. Call Complimentary Compounding on (02) 6686 2244
2. Tell the staff member that you are a Madame Brow Lakes Entrance client, and you wish to order your
BLT NUMBING CREAM.
3. Request to have your numbing cream sent directly to you at your personal address.
4. Once you receive your numbing cream, store it in a cool dry place. If you have ANY questions regarding your numbing cream, including application, please call Complimentary Compounding directly on (02) 6686 2244.
The staff at Complimentary Compounding are fantastic. You will likely speak with Maddie or Paige who are just gorgeous, feel free to ask them any questions you might have, they are always very helpful!
Please note: You cannot buy these creams over the counter, they must be supplied by a compounding pharmacy.
The cost of your numbing creams will be $22.50 + shipping ($10).
HOW TO APPLY YOUR BLT NUMBING CREAM:
Your numbing cream MUST be applied by you 20 mins before your appointment. Do not forget!
You need to arrive at the salon with your numbing cream still on. You will have enough numbing cream for two treatments (your initial treatment a touch up perfecting session at 4-10 weeks should you choose to book one).
1. Clean the brow area and make sure your brows are clean and dry. Make sure your hair is away from your face to avoid it getting stuck to the cream (a soft headband is useful for this).
2. Apply a thin layer of numbing cream to each brow area using a clean cotton tip. Be careful not to get any in your eyes and avoid the eyelid area. Do not touch or rub the cream once applied. Wait 10 mins, repeat this process again (total of 20 mins)
Again, keep your numbing cream on when you arrive!
Option 2: Emla numbing cream
Your second option is to purchase a tube of Emla numbing cream from the chemist. This will cost around $15. You must apply this cream 1 hour prior to your appointment, following the instructions on the packet. You can use a strip of folded glad wrap across the forehead to cover the cream and pin it to the hairline. Again, you must arrive to your appointment with your numbing cream still on. Repeat this process if you decide to book a touch up appointment.